Everything You Need to Know About Thai Airways Baggage Policy
Have you booked a flight with Thai Airways to one of your preferred domestic or international destinations? Then make sure that you have the proper knowledge about the baggage policy required to know before you pack your baggage. If you don’t know about Thai Airways baggage allowance, you can follow the instructions mentioned to understand each rule for applicable baggage.
Types of Baggage Provided by Thai Airways
- Free baggage.
- Carry-on baggage.
- Excess baggage.
- Special baggage.
- Restricted baggage.
- Lost or damaged baggage.
- Dangerous goods.
Thai Airways Baggage Rules
Passengers are allowed to carry baggage free of charge that depending on the destinations and conditions as per the THAI Regulations given below:
- You can carry free baggage with a maximum weight of 48 kg if traveling in Royal Silk Class.
- For the premium Economy and Economy class, the maximum weight is 30 kg.
- If you are a Star Alliance Gold Member, you can add an extra 20 kg to your baggage, and Royal Orchid Platinum Member can add up to 30 kg extra in baggage.
- If you are traveling with an infant not occupying a seat, then the maximum baggage weight is 10 kg.
Checked Baggage Allowance
For the International Destinations:
- You can carry one checked baggage with a maximum weight of 40 kg if you are a Royal Silk class passenger.
- If you are an Economy and Premium Economy class passenger, you can take up to 30 kg of weight.
To/from USA and Canada:
- Royal First and Royal Silk Class passengers can take up to 2 free checked baggage allowances with a maximum weight of 32 kg and 158 dimensions.
- Economy class passengers are allowed two free checked baggage allowances with a maximum 23 kg weight and 158 cm dimension.
- Infants who are not occupying a seat are allowed 1 free checked baggage allowance with a maximum 23 kg of weight with a dimension of 115 cm.
If you are traveling in First or Business Class or a Star Alliance Gold Status Customer, you are allowed 2 pieces of carry-on baggage.
- Other passengers can only bring one piece of carry-on baggage with a maximum dimension 56 x 45 x 25 cm along with the handle, sockets, and wheels.
- The maximum weight of this baggage must not exceed the prescribed weight of 7 kg.
- Passengers can only place their baggage into the overhead bin or in front of their seats.
Following items are free to carry on Thai Airways:
- The maximum dimension for a handbag, purse, and wallet should be 37.5 x 25 x 12.5 cm and the total weight must not exceed 1.5 kg.
- Walking sticks, food for infants, required medicine along with the prescription by a consultant or doctor.
- Access baggage can be purchased if your bag exceeds the limit, and you must access the excess baggage and pay for it before boarding your flight.
- Checked baggage allowance varies upon the varied conditions like your cabin, military status, status level, and purchase date.
Thai Airways provides special baggage allowance to its passengers to add the special equipment into their baggage. This special baggage allowance depends on the below categories:
For bike/bicycle: You can add bike/bicycle into the special baggage allowance in which a passenger can add one bike or bicycle. If someone adds more than one bike, then excess baggage charges will be applicable.
Fishing equipment: You are allowed fishing equipment in your special baggage allowance as per the prescribed limit. If it exceeds the allowance, then charges will be applicable as per the Special Unit price.
One portable musical instrument: You can also carry one portable musical instrument with a maximum length of 100 cm.
Golfing: You are allowed one golf set per passenger that you can add to the allowance, and if you add 2 or more golf sets, you will be charged as normal excess baggage charges.
Surfboard/Windsurf: If you are traveling to/from Australia/New Zealand, you can add only one surfboard to your baggage allowance. If you add more, then Special Unit rates will be applicable. If the ticket is booked from TG Japan, one surfboard is entirely free of charge but only when carried out to/from Denpasar Bali.
AVIH(dog or cat carried baggage): Only small dogs and cats are allowed and accepted to some route due to the rules and regulations of each country.
Smart baggage with installed lithium batteries, Bluetooth, motor, GPS, power banks are wholly restricted to carry due to the electrical safety system of an aircraft from various points of view.
Passengers can only carry such baggage after removing any installed batteries or other electrical equipment before the check-in.
Every passenger can carry one hand baggage with a maximum dimension of 56 x 45 x 25 cm, including handles, wheels, and side pockets, and the baggage weight must not exceed 7 kg.
If baggage exceeds the prescribed rules and restrictions, then THAI Airways have the right to refuse such kind of baggage.
Dangerous Goods: Any dangerous goods or article which is dangerous to safety, environment, or health, and these are classified as given below:
- Flammable liquids.
- Radioactive material.
Some other items are limitations subjected to the local airport authorities, and you can only carry them with their approval. These items are given below:
Alcohol: You can add alcohol as checked and carry-on baggage when traveling with THAI Airways to your preferred route as per the below conditions:
- Alcohol bottles must contain in retail packaging.
- The maximum limit is 5 L per passenger.
- It should contain an alcohol volume of more than 24% but not more than 70%
Weapons, Explosive, Ammunition
- Electroshock weapons contain dangerous goods such as compressed gases, explosives, lithium batteries, etc. So, you are not allowed to carry such kinds of items due to varied security reasons.
- Ammunition is only allowed for sporting purposes, and it is allowed only one person, and it’s weight must not exceed 5 kg.
- Additional approval of the airport is also required before carrying such kinds of items during travel.
Delayed Baggage and Damaged Baggage
- If your baggage is delayed and you reach the arrival airport, then THAI Airways will take every possible steps to deliver you.
- You should approach the ground staff as soon as possible if you find that your baggage is delayed.
- If your bag is still not found, then you can fill up the Passenger Property Claim form at the official website.
- If your bag is delayed more than 24 hours, you can buy the toiletries and other required items you need during the travel, and THAI Airways will reimburse you for these things.
Reimbursement for Delayed Baggage
- The reimbursement entirely depends on the situation, length of trip, destinations, and other things.
- For the international route passengers, TG considers an amount of $100 per passenger whereas $25 for the domestic route passenger.
- To get reimbursed for any delayed baggage, you will require sending a written claim to TG baggage claim service.
- If your baggage is damaged during a flight, you need to bring it to the TG baggage service immediately just after arrival.
- The damaged baggage will be checked and reviewed by the personal baggage officers, and then you are required to report the damaged baggage.
- You will be provided a Property Irregular Report by the airport representative related to your baggage details.
- Your damaged baggage will be repaired or compensated depending entirely on the damage of your baggage.
- You will have to provide a written claim to TG, and it should be submitted within 7 days of the arrival date.
TG does not liable for the below damage:
- Water, or rain.
- Ordinary wear and tear.
- Perishable or fragile items inside the baggage.
- Damage to baggage parts such as tag, wheels, external locks, zipper, name tag, or other.
An Item left onboard
- If any passenger left an item on an aircraft that arrived in Bangkok or at lounges, then it is advised to contact Local Lost and Found office immediately.
- Lost items will be disposed of after 3 months.