A comprehensive guide on the baggage policy of Lufthansa Airlines
Overview Of All Types Of Baggage
Lufthansa Airlines allows the following types of baggage in its flights:
One can carry their carry-on baggage as per their preferred travel class. Whether you are travelling in the Economy Class or Business Class, you can carry best of the weight limit during your travel.
- Free Baggage/Checked Baggage
Free baggage or Checked baggage allows you to carry more luggage in your Lufthansa flight depending upon the route, membership and other criteria.
- Excess/Special/Bulky Baggage
In case, if you are planning to carry heavy, sports or musical instruments during your travel, then you can do it as Lufthansa Airline does allows you to carry such kind of luggage. However, the lufthansa baggage policy may for this.
One can carry sports baggage for free on Lufthansa Airlines, but it must be registered on the airline 24 hour prior to the scheduled departure.
Baggage Guidelines For Different Types Of Baggage: Lufthansa Airlines
- Passengers are allowed to carry 2 carry-ons on both First Class & Business Class, and 1 carry-on bag on Economy & Premium Economy Class.
- The carry-on bag must be fitted in the overhead bin or under the seat with the maximum dimension of 55cm x 40cm x 23cm / 22in x 16in x 9in, and the maximum weight of 8 Kg/18 lbs.
Guidelines from the Lufthansa baggage policy for Intercontinental flights.
- Economy Class can carry up to 1 bag up to 23 kg/50 lb, and Premium Economy Class can carry up to 2 bags up to 23 kg/50 lb.
- Business Class passengers can carry up to 2 bags and 3 bags for First Class weighing up to 32 kg/70 lb.
- Economy Class & Premium Economy Class members can carry 2 bags up to 23 kg/50 lbs.
- Business Class passengers can carry 2 bags up to 32 kg/70 lb, and First Class can carry 3 bags up to 32 kg/70 lb.
On European flights
- Economy Light can carry 1 bag (carry-on) up to 8 kg, and Economy Classic / Flex can carry 1 item (carry-on) up to 8 kg, and 1 bag up to 23 kg.
- For Business Class, 2 bags of carry-on up to 8 kg, and 2 bags up 32 kg.
As per the Lufthansa baggage policy, the airline does not allow sports baggage that weigh more than 32 kg, and exceeding the total dimension of 315 cm as the travel baggage but will be sent as air freight.
Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Services
Lufthansa Airlines offers best in class baggage assistance to ensure better travel plans during your travel. Here are the most common things on which you can get better assistance on your baggage.
- Delayed Baggage
- Lost/Found baggage
- Damaged Baggage
- Reporting damage on your baggage
- Loss of personal property
- Claiming Compensation, liability and insurance on your baggage.
- Replacement Purchases.
Digital Baggage Services
The Digital Baggage Services are offered through the Lufthansa app, and one can be assured with their baggage throughout their journey. Here the top services offered under the Digital Baggage Services as per the Lufthansa baggage policy.
- Baggage receipt
- Baggage status
- Baggage carousel information
- HomeTag Services
You can put a bag tag online on your luggage for selected routes.
- Smart bag Services
- Bag drop-off at self-service Lufthansa kiosks.
- Getting Online updates of your delayed baggage.
The following are the dangerous items that are prohibited as per the Lufthansa baggage policy.
- Any caustic material like acids, alkalis, or wet cell batteries.
- Gas Containers, any flammable liquids, or Petrol-operated equipment and tools.
- Camping stoves, scuba tanks, Explosives, fireworks or flares, Electroshock weapons.
- Poisonous and infectious substances, Heat-generating items, Oxygen generators, Battery-powered transportation.
- Oxidising substances, Security bags or briefcases with lithium batteries/pyrotechnic devices, or Radioactive materials.
- Dry ice with the excess of 2.5 kg content.
Travelling With Animals On Lufthansa Airlines
Pets In The Cabin
- Lufthansa Airlines allows both dogs and cats (up to 2 ) in its cabins with a combined weight of both pet and pet carrier (under 17 lbs/8 kgs).
- The pets must be stowed in their carrier under the seat in front of the passengers while their travel on Lufthansa Airlines.
- Lufthansa Airlines charge €50 for carrying pets in its European flights, and €70 for intercontinental trips (one-way charge).
Pets In Checked Baggage
- Lufthansa Airlines lets you travel with the combined weight of both pet and carrier with over 17 lbs/8 kg. And the pet can be transported in the air-conditioned cargo hold on the airline, and one can bring up to 2 animals in there.
- Besides, the airline also charges €100 EUR for flights within Europe, and €150 for intercontinental flights. And for large carriers, the airline charges €200 for flights within Europe, and €300 for intercontinental flights.
- Passengers can carry small dogs and cats with the maximum dimensions of 22" x 16" x 9" (55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm) on Lufthansa Airlines, 24" x 18" x 16" (60 cm x 45 cm x 40 cm) doe medium sized pets, and up to 49" x 29" x 33" (125 cm x 75 cm x 85 cm) for up to large sized pets.
- The pet carrier must be escape proof, leak proof, and bite-proof, must have food and water containers for the pets, and must also be properly ventilated with the secure locking system.
How Much Does Extra Baggage Cost On Lufthansa Airlines?
Overweight Baggage Fees
If the baggage is heavier than free baggage allowance i.e. 24–32 kg, then Lufthansa Airlines will charge up to $70 for flights travelling within Europe/between third countries, and for intercontinental flights, the charges may go up to $150.
Economy and Premium Economy Class
- For baggage larger than free baggage allowance starting from 159 cm, the airline charges $150 for flights travelling within Europe/between third countries, and $300 for intercontinental flights.
- For baggage larger and heavier than free baggage allowance i.e. 24-32 kg, Lufthansa Airlines charges $220 for flights travelling within Europe/between third countries, and $450 for intercontinental flights.
Business and First Class
- For baggage larger than free baggage allowance starting from 159 cm, the airline charges an excess baggage fee of $150 for flights travelling within Europe/between third countries, $300 for intercontinental flights.
For more info on the Lufthansa baggage policy, pet policy, extra baggage fee, and other relevant information, kindly contact the airline’s customer services and talk to the experts.